Atúmọ̀-Èdè (Yorùbá-Gẹ̀ẹ́sì): B1
1. Ba: v. ‘to hide’ Mo ba sí abẹ́ igi; I hid under the tree.
2. Bà: v. (i) to ferment: Kòkó náà ti bà; The cocoa has fermented (ii) to perch: Ẹyẹ náà bà; The bird perched (iii) to foment: Mo ba egbò rẹ̀; I fomented his ulcer (iv) to hit: Òkúta tí ó sọ bà mí; The stone he threw hit me. (v) to be afraid: Ẹ̀rù bà mí; I was afraid. (vi) settle: Ẹyẹ náà bá sórí ẹ̀ka igi ka; The bird settled on a branch.
3. Bẹ́: v. (i) to burst: Ó bẹ́ pẹ̀ẹ́; It bursts (ii) to cut: Ó bẹ́ ẹ ní orí; He cut his head off (iii) to jump: Ọmọ náà bẹ́; The child jumped (iv) to buy a little quantity of a commodity: Ó bẹ́ tábà; He bought a little quantity of tobacco (vi) to crack: Orógbó náà bẹ́; The bitter cola cracked when it was eaten (vii) to start: Òràn ti bẹ́; Trouble has started (viii) to puncture: Táyà náà bẹ́; The tyre punctured (iv) to spat: Ó bẹ́ itọ́; He Spat.
4. Bẹ: v. (i) to be bright: Ó bẹ; It is bright (ii) to peel: Ó bẹ iṣu náà; He peeled the yam (iii) to speak cheekily: Ó bẹ si mi; He spoke cheekily to me (iv) to exist: Ó ń bẹ; It exists (v) to be forward/to be screwed: Ọmọkùnrin yẹn bẹ; That boy is too forward.
5. Bẹ̀: v. ‘beg’: Ó bẹ̀ mí; He begged me (ii) apologize: O ti ṣẹ Olú. Bẹ́ ẹ̀ ‘You have offended Olú. Apologize to him. (iii) implore: Ó bẹ olè náà kí ó máà kó gbogbo owó wọn lọ; He implored the robber not to take all their money (iv) ask: Ó bẹ̀ wà lọ́wẹ̀; He asked us for communal help.
6. Bí: v. (i) to give birth to: Ó bímọ; She gave birth to a baby (ii) to be annoyed: Ó ń bínú; He is annoyed (iii) If: Bí o lù mi n ó lù ọ́; If you hit me I will hit you. (iv) Question marker: Ó lọ bí?; Did he go? (v) how: Ó kọ́ mi bí mo ti máa se é; He taught me how to do it (vi) that: Ó ní àfi bí òun pa á; He says there is nothing but that he will kill him (vii) When/after: Bí ó ti rí mi, inú rè dùn; When he saw me, he was happy (viii) like: Ó rí bí Olú; He is like Olú (ix) as: Ṣe bí mo ti wí; Do as I say (x) bear: Obìnrin yẹn ti bí ọmọ mẹ́wàá; That woman has borne ten children (xi) born: Ọdún tí ó kọjá ni wọ́n bí Olú; Olú was born last year (xii) just: Adé wole bí mo se jádé; Adè entered just as I left (xiii) more: Ènìyàn bí ogbọ̀n ló wà nílé rẹ̀; There were thirty people in his house, more or less (xiv) reproduce: Ológbò máa ń bí ní ẹ̀ẹ̀méjì lọ́dún; Cats reproduce twice a year (xv) such: Wọ́n ń fẹ́ èso tí ó kún fún omi bí i osàn; They want some juicy fruit such as orange (xvi) whether: Nò mọ̀ bí ó máa wá tàbí kò níí wá; I don’t know whether he will come or not’.
7. Bi: v. to ask: Ó bi í ní ìbéèrè; He asked him questions.
8. Bì: v.(i) to vomit: Ó bì; He vomited (ii) Ó bì mí; He pushed me (iii) to change colour: Aṣọ náà máa ń bì; The cloth always changes its colour(s) (iv) sick: Olú bì nígbà tí ó jẹ iyán ní àjẹjù; Olú was sick when he ate too much pounded yam.
9. Bo: v. to hide: Ó bo sí abẹ́ igi; He hid under the tree.
Bò: v. (i) to cover: Ó bo abọ́ náà; He covered the plate (ii) to roof: A bo ilé wa; We roofed our house (iii) to have plenty of leaves: Igi ìrókò náà bò; The ìrókò tree is dense with leaves (iv) smoother: Eruku bò mí ‘I was smothered in dust.
10. Bọ: v. to worship: Ó bọ òrìṣà; He worshipped the deity