City and County of San Francisco
San Francisco from the Marin Headlands, with the Golden Gate Bridge in the foreground
Oro en Paz, Fierro en Guerra
(Spanish for "Gold in Peace, Iron in War")
Location of San Francisco, California
|Founded||June 29, 1776|
|Incorporated||April 16, 1850|
|Founded by||Lieutenant José Joaquin Moraga and Father Francisco Palóu|
|Named for||Saint Francis of Assisi|
|• Mayor||Gavin Newsom (D)|
|• Board of Supervisors|
|• State Assembly||Fiona Ma (D)|
Tom Ammiano (D)
|• State Senate||Mark Leno (D)|
Leland Yee (D)
|• U.S. House||Nancy Pelosi (D)|
Jackie Speier (D)
|• Consolidated city-county||231.92 sq mi (600.7 km2)|
|• Land||46.7 sq mi (121 km2)|
|• Water||185.2 sq mi (480 km2) 79.8%|
|• Metro||3,524.4 sq mi (9,128 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|Highest elevation||925 ft (282 m)|
|Lowest elevation||0 ft (0 m)|
|• Consolidated city-county||808,976|
|• Density||17,323/sq mi (6,688/km2)|
|• Demonym||San Franciscan|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (Pacific Daylight Time)|
94101–94112, 94114–94147, 94150–94170, 94172, 94175, 94177
|Àyọkà yìí tàbí apá rẹ̀ únfẹ́ àtúnṣe sí.|
Itokasi[àtúnṣe | àtúnṣe àmìọ̀rọ̀]
- San Francisco Examiner, April 3, 1918. Don't Call It Frisco. Judge Mogan Rebukes Angeleno for Using Slang in His Petition for Divorce. "No one refers to San Francisco by that title except people from Los Angeles."
- Sullivan, James (October 14, 2003). "Frisco, that once-verboten term for the city by the bay, is making a comeback among the young and hip. Herb Caen is spinning at warp speed.". Datebook (San Francisco: San Francisco Chronicle): p. D-1. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/14/DD67721.DTL&type=travelbayarea. Retrieved June 12, 2008.
- Many tourists refer to San Francisco as "Frisco." However, some locals discourage this. Samuel D. Cohen writes that many credit "Friscophobia" to newspaper columnist Herb Caen, whose first book, published in 1953, was "Don't Call it Frisco" after a 1918 newspaper article of the same name. Caen was considered by many to be the recognized authority on what was, and what was not, beneath the city's dignity, and to him, Frisco was intolerable. Cohen, Sam (September 11, 1997). "Locals Know best: only tourists call it 'Frisco'". Golden Gater Online. San Francisco State University. Retrieved July 13, 2008.. Check date values in:
- San Francisco Public Library (March 29, 2005). "PPIE: The City That Knows How". Amusing America. San Francisco Public Library, Online Exhibitions. Retrieved June 14, 2008.
- Caen, Herb (1949). Baghdad-by-the-Bay. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday. ISBN 978-0891740476. OCLC 31060237. LC F869.S3 C12.
- YouTube (1939). "1939 San Francisco in Color!!!". UnknownWW2InColor. UnknownWW2InColor (Ramano-Archives). Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- "Incorporation Dates of California Cities". Retrieved November 24, 2009.
- "Table 1. Annual Estimates of the Population of Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2007" (XLS). US Census Bureau. March 27, 2008. Retrieved June 11, 2008.
- "Population up in every Bay Area county in 2008". San Francisco Chronicle. Hearst Communications. March 19, 2009. Retrieved March 19, 2009.
- "Table 2. Annual Estimates of the Population of Combined Statistical Areas: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2007" (XLS). US Census Bureau. March 27, 2008. Retrieved June 12, 2008.